There is nothing better than grilling up a bunch of steaks or corn on your barbecue. Grilling brings family and friends together, but an out of control fire will ruin your fun and may cause injury and damage to your home. Your homeowner’s insurance can be designed to cover grilling accidents, but we hope you never have a fire in the first place.
On average, annually there are over 9,000 home fires directly related to barbecuing. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, last year over 16,000 people went to the emergency room and there was $80 million in direct property damage from barbecuing.
General Grilling Safety
- Never barbecue inside, in a garage, on the roof, or on a second story deck.
- Do not let raw meat sit out long without being chilled or cooked.
- Always wash your hands before and after handling food.
- Do not over indulge in alcohol while barbecuing.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grill and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Be aware that grills themselves can remain hot long after extinguished.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, let the lighter fluid soak into the coals a few minutes before lighting them so that any vapors have time to evaporate.
- Open the grill lid before you light it.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing.
- Keep an extinguisher outside or close by.
- Make sure you use the grill 10 feet away from your house.
- Before having a propane cylinder filled, check it for dents, gouges or other signs of disrepair.
- If you have a gas grill, make sure the connections from the propane tank to the grill are tight.
- Use porcelain rocks instead of lava rocks. Lava rocks are porous and can hold grease, which can catch fire and make for an uneven heating surface.
- When you turn off a gas grill, remember to turn off the propane tank too.
In the rare instance of a grill fire spreading to your property, your homeowner’s insurance would provide protection as fire is a covered peril. A homeowner’s policy covers the following:
- Damage to your home
- Damage to personal property
- Injuries to a guest, under the liability portion of your policy
Amberg Insurance has consistently been voted First Place for Best Insurance Agency and Best Agent by the Charlotte Sun Newspaper and First Place for ‘Harbor’s Hottest’ Insurance Agency by Harbor Style Magazine.