Summer is here and many of us are enjoying our backyard swimming pool. It is good to remember that owning a pool not only has liability risks, but there are property risks as well. However, most important is keeping your friends and family safe, so here are a few pool safety reminders.
It is also important to have a personal insurance review to make sure all your summer activities are covered. For example, if you have purchased a boat, you may need a separate watercraft policy. In addition, if you have installed a pool you will need to add that risk to your homeowner’s policy. We want you to have an enjoyable and safe summer, so here are some reminders about summertime safety
Property Risks and Pools
Some insurance companies consider a pool to be an external structure, and it may not be covered under your personal property. If that is the case, your pool needs to be declared and listed on the policy, just like a shed or any other extraneous structure.
- Pumps and related equipment can be damaged. Make sure your homeowner’s policy will cover this kind of equipment, including equipment failure
- Water damage to the pool. Unless the damage is a result of a covered event, there is no coverage for cracks in the pool and related walkways.
- Falling objects like trees may be covered.
- Faulty workmanship is not covered under a homeowner’s policy. If you have a contractor working on your pool, make sure they have the proper insurance.
- Are your pool cage supports or screening covered? They can be but it depends on your homeowners insurer.
Amberg Insurance Center, Inc. was established in 1974 to serve the growing insurance needs of the many businesses and individuals located in the Charlotte and surrounding counties. We take pride in the quality service provided to our customers, our community concern, and our commitment to the overall development of our employees.
Amberg Insurance has been voted First Place for Best Insurance Agency and Best Agent by the Charlotte Sun Newspaper and First Place for ‘Harbor’s Hottest’ Insurance Agency by Harbor Style Magazine.