If you drive your personally owned auto for Uber, Lyft, or even a pizza delivery company, your personal auto insurance will not provide coverage you need, should you be involved in an accident. Uber and Lyft are “rideshare” services that compete with taxis and more traditional car transport services. These companies do not own or operate their cars and do not hire their drivers directly. Drivers are independent contractors who drive their own vehicles to pick up and drop off customers. Here are two big coverage gaps:
- Your personal auto insurance policy excludes liability for hauling others for a fee.
- These rideshare companies also require liability limits above the state minimums.
There are a number of insurance companies now offering specific auto insurance coverage for ridesharing risks.
Here are a few tips for rideshare drivers.
- Purchase a separate policy with at least a $1,000,000 limit.
- Read any, and all, agreements so you know what your responsibilities are.
- Keep your vehicle in good working condition.
Amberg Insurance Center, Inc. was established in 1974 to serve the growing insurance needs of the many businesses and individuals located in the Charlotte and surrounding counties. We take pride in the quality service provided to our customers, our community concern, and our commitment to the overall development of our employees.
As an Independent Insurance Agency, we represent many of the top insurance companies in the country. This means better coverage, and at a competitive price, including life and health insurance