Hurricane season takes place June 1 to November 30 every year. Don’t wait until after you have a loss to check your insurance, review your homeowners or renters policies to make you have the right coverage in the event you’re hit with a destructive storm.
What is Florida Homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it. Florida Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.
Remember The Key Terms
Hurricane Watch: A hurricane watch is issued when hurricane conditions are a real possibility for an area within 48 hours.
Hurricane Warning: A hurricane warning is issued when a hurricane is expected within 36 hours. Begin precautionary action at once. Important – once a Warning has been issued for our community insurance cannot be bound. If you are involved in closing on a new home, we recommend binding coverage early, especially in hurricane season.
Now is the time for you to build an emergency kit and create an evacuation plan. For more information on this, go to http://www.ready.gov/american-red-cross
- Review your insurance to make sure you have adequate coverage and limits.
- Hold an annual family meeting to discuss issues and plans.
- Develop an evacuation plan; this should include phone numbers, meeting places and routes of escape from your home, neighborhood and city.
- Check your home for vulnerable areas, such as leaking roofs.
- Make sure you have a secure place for recreation vehicles, boats, and motorcycles.
- Make plans for your pets as well.
- Notify neighbors and family members of your evacuation plan.
- Plan for any special medical needs.
- Make sure the gas tank in your car is full.
- Anchor or stow small boats and RV’s.
- Secure any outdoor furniture.
- Secure buildings by closing and boarding up windows.
- Trim any old trees.
- Secure any antennas.
- Make sure flashlights are working.
- Evacuate, if advised to do so!
Amberg Insurance Center, Inc. was established in 1974 to serve the growing insurance needs of the many businesses and individuals located in the Charlotte and surrounding counties. We take pride in the quality service provided to our customers, our community concern, and our commitment to the overall development of our employees.
Amberg Insurance has been voted BEST INSURANCE AGENCY and BEST AGENT by the residents of Charlotte County and Harbor’s Hottest Insurance Agency by Harbor Style Magazine.