Can You Live Without Disaster Insurance?
Human caused disasters and natural disasters occur in every state. Florida has hurricanes and flooding, California has earthquakes and wild fires, Colorado has flooding and wildfires, the Northeast has winter storms and high winds, Florida has flooding and hurricanes, and the Midwest has flooding and tornados.
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it. Florida Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.
Insurance And Disasters
It is safe to say that most business and homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover the risks associated with disasters. The only exception would be damage caused by wildfires. Let’s look at how insurance might apply to other disasters.
- Floods— Only 13% of U.S. homeowners had flood-insurance policies last year according to the Insurance Information Institute, a trade group. Flood insurance must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help you if you need the coverage.
- Hurricanes— Most property insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hurricanes, except for flood loss associated with the hurricane. If you live in a high wind area, you will need to have a separate policy to cover your home and personal property.
- Mudslides— A standard home insurance policy does not protect your home against damage caused by a mudslide. Mudslides are usually defined as ground movement. Heavy rains that cause a mudflow would typically be covered.
- Heavy Rain and Storms— Winter storms and snow damage is covered under a typical homeowner’s policy. If flooding occurs, then the flood damage would be covered.
- Hail— Most homeowner’s insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hail.
- Wildfires— It can be safe to say that all homeowner’s insurance covers loss resulting from a fire. Wildfires are considered a fire and would be covered.
Coverage disclaimer–the information provided here is for general purposes only. It is not our intent to change or modify insurance coverage. Each insurance policy is different and your individual coverage will be determined by the terms of your insurance policy.
By having an office in North and South Charlotte County, we can provide convenient and timely service to our clients. We would appreciate having the opportunity to serve as your insurance Agent for your personal and/or business needs.
Amberg Insurance has been voted First Place for Best Insurance Agency and Best Agent by the Charlotte Sun Newspaper and First Place for ‘Harbor’s Hottest’ Insurance Agency by Harbor Style Magazine.