Historic storms in the Gulf of Mexico, such as Harvey, Irma and Maria have emphasized the importance of homeowners securing flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Flood Hazard Zone…Know Your Location
Flooding and other surface drainage problems can occur well away from a river, lake, or ocean. If you are looking at a property, it’s a good idea to check out possible flood hazards before you buy. Here are some reasons why:
- The force of moving water or waves can destroy a building.
- Slow moving flood waters can knock people off their feet or float a car.
- Standing water can float a building, collapse basement walls, or buckle a concrete floor.
- Water-soaked contents such as carpeting, clothing, upholstered furniture, and mattresses may have to be thrown away after a flood.
- Some items such as photographs and heirlooms may never be restored to their original
- Floodwaters are not clean: floods carry mud, farm chemicals, road oil, and other noxious substances that cause health hazards.
Floodplain regulations: The City of Punta Gorda regulates construction and development in the floodplain to ensure that buildings will be protected from flood damage. Filling and similar projects are prohibited in certain areas. Houses substantially damaged by fire, flood, or any other cause must be elevated to or above the flood level when they are repaired
Amberg Insurance Center, Inc. was established in 1974 to serve the growing insurance needs of the many businesses and individuals located in the Charlotte and surrounding counties. We take pride in the quality service provided to our customers, our community concern, and our commitment to the overall development of our employees.
Amberg Insurance has been voted First Place for Best Insurance Agency and Best Agent by the Charlotte Sun Newspaper and First Place for ‘Harbor’s Hottest’ Insurance Agency by Harbor Style Magazine.